The Complete Guide to Songwriting
What Will I Learn?
- Students will learn about the raw materials of songwriting
- Students will learn about the importance of melody and harmonic content
- Students will learn how to write better lyrics
- Students will learn about the importance of groove and rhythm.
- Students will learn about environmental impacts on songwriting, and how they can better collaborate with other people
- Students will learn about song structure and song elements
- Students will learn about the 3-step writing technique for lyrics
- Students will learn how to limit their choices to get better ideas
- Students will learn how to come up with ideas for songs, and the different themes available
- Students will learn how to create hooks
- Students will learn about ‘magic moments’ and how they can improve a song
- Students will learn about the importance of rewriting, and understanding when a song is finished
- There are no set requirements for the course, other than an interest in music and songwriting.
- It will be helpful if you can accompany yourself on an instrument such as guitar or piano, but it is by no means necessary.
This course will guide you through the world of songwriting, showing you how you can utilize raw materials and modern compositions to write better songs.
Designed to help you understand how songs are crafted, this course will give you the tools and skills you need to get better at modern songwriting, regardless of your level of experience.
Taught by an extremely talented musician and songwriter with years of experience in the business, this course will give you the confidence and toolkit you need to craft better songs and understand what makes songs successful or popular. You’ll learn how to write better lyrics, how songs are structured and how to create hooks and ‘magic moments’ in your compositions. You’ll also be able to analyse popular songs and understand them on a whole new level.
The complete guide to songwriting is aimed at anyone who wants to understand the process of songwriting and write better songs. Whether you’re new to music or a seasoned pro, and regardless of whether or not you play an instrument, this course will give you a new insight into the world of modern composition and songwriting.
About the instructor:
Danny McGurn BA(hons) is a seasoned songwriter and performer, with a degree in music from the University of Sussex and a HND in songwriting from the Brighton Institute of Modern Music. He’s also one of Learn Everything’s regular presenters and course providers.
In the past 10 years, Danny has played with a number of high profile bands and as a solo artist, performing on numerous UK tour and at renowned festivals and venues including Glastonbury, Rock Against Racism, the Secret Garden Party, White Air Festival, Club NME and hundreds of others. He has performed on lineups with the likes of Elbow, Biffy Clyro, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Buzzcocks, Frank Turner and has performed live on stage with Gary Moore. His music has been featured on Hollyoaks and numerous TV adverts, and he has been featured in the likes of NME, The Telegraph, The Guardian, Rocksound Music Week and many more. As the lead singer of infamous and much loved Brighton band The Perils, Danny wrote the critically acclaimed album Good People Do Bad Things, which is available on iTunes.
Who is the target audience?
- This course is for anyone interested in music and modern songwriting
- This course is for anyone looking to understand the process of modern composition
- This course is for anyone who would like to be able to analyse hit songs
- This course is for those who want to be able to write better lyrics
- This course is for anyone looking to write better songs for themselves, for their band or for others